I don't know about you, but I wasn't a very healthy eater around the holidays this year. I tried to get back on track this month, and this salad certainly fit the bill. It's healthy but full of interesting flavors. Also, let's talk about pistachios. I've never eaten them much before, but my mom had a bowl out at holidays, and yum....I am hooked. What a delicious snack.
- 1 medium size golden beet
- 1 medium size red beet
- 5 oz. arugula
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 3/4 cup roasted salted pistachios
- 1 whole pint grapefruit, cut into segments
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbles
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3/4 extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scrub beets and trim any roots or stem. Place in a small glass baking dish and sprinkle with a small amount of olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. After an hour, test to see if beets are tender. If not, bake for an additional 15-30 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and cool completely. Once beets are cool to the touch, rub skins with a paper towel or your hands to remove the skins. Slice into 1/2 cubes and set aside.
2. Make dressing. Mix all ingredients except for olive oil in a small mixing bowl. Once combined, slowly add oil while using a whisk to incorporate. Keep whisking as you slowly add the oil until dressing takes on a creamy consistency and all oil is incorporated.
3. Assemble greens and all salad toppings. Serve and drizzle with dressing.
I hope you enjoy this salad as much as I did!